View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Roberto
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 757/767

Originally Posted by MountyFlyer View Post
So, how many over 60 F/O's are in ANC elidgible for upgrade? How many over 60 F/E's on the DC-8 or Whale that could also grab a window seat? If the F/O's in ANC are allowed to upgrade to Capt in the lower 48 then there would be a need for F/O's in ANC, the way I see it.
There have been 46 FO awards to over-60 FE's, but 3 of those retired after their award (24 747-400, 15 MD11 SDF, of which one retired, 1 757 SDF, 1 SDFZ who retired, 3 ONT, 1 MIA who retired, and 1 A300). A couple of these haven't started training yet, and a couple more are on medical.

There are 42 upgradeable FE's remaining. Five of those turn 65 in 2009, so they probably will be bypassed. Another couple turn 65 early in 2010, and may be bypassed also. A couple more turn 65 in mid-2010, and they could be bypassed also. There are also 9 medicals, and some who don't have an upgrade bid in. I'm guessing maybe 25 would actually take an upgrade if (their choice) was available.

I think the senior FO's in ANC and SDF, and some senior FE's, will take available CPT vacancies. The junior over-60 FE's will be looking for a lower-48 FO, as they have already passed up ANC FO opportunities.

As said previously, there is a 2-year lock on transitions from the 747-400, and a 1-year lock on other domicile transitions.

Also, Manpower Planning has been talking about a Realignment Bid in February or March for quite some time. That timeframe has been given because the schoolhouse for the MD11 and 757 is full until March. My bet/hope is for an early February (Monday, February 2) bid, as that will allow the necessary lead time to pick up training in the 757 and MD11 fleets in March at first opportunity. (The last scheduled MD11 class begins in early February, and a 30 March 757 class is only about half full, by my records from the last training bid award.) Hopefully, someone will get an update from Manpower Planning before too much longer.

Last edited by Roberto; 12-30-2008 at 12:57 PM.