Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
skiermws
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Default Questions from someone looking to get into aviation. Any info greatly appreciated.

I am currently a sophomore in college. Since somewhere around the 10th grade I have had in interest in becoming a pilot. I am currently majoring in Finance and I'm not sure if it is for me. Lately, I've been looking around at different options for stepping into the aviation field, I've never flown a plane, but it is something that has always fascinated me simply through being a passenger on them.

My college, Kent State University, offers a degree in aviation ( i think the formal wording is flight technology...Bachelors Degrees). I have heard and read in different places that the airlines, mainly the big ones, which is what would be my, as well as everyone elses im sure, plateau i would like to reach are only hiring pilots with four year degrees( and lots of experience). If i were to stay in college, would it be wise to stay with my current degree in finance and do flight training on the side, or go to the aviation major? I have read views on both sides, but im looking for a general consensus.

Another option that I have read about is going to a "flight academy", such as the ATP, Delta Connection, etc etc. The main argument that i have heard about these is something about after graduating, you end up in a sub par smaller airport with not much oppurtunity for advancement. As usual I've read the opposite. Again, I'm looking for the general opinion on this. Also if people advise against this and recommend going to a small school to get your license, is this place considered one, or is it more academy like? ( American Winds Flight Academy Home Page). The place is like 30 minutes possibly less from my college campus so it would be pretty convenient.

Basically, what I am trying to find out is the best route to take to one day have the oppurtunity to be making the big paycheck and flying the big plane. I want to know what way is best to make it to a commercial airline and get out of regional. I also realize that everyone starts out on the bottom rung of the ladder, and I will not be any kind of big shot pilot anytime soon. That is the same as with any other profession and I in no way consider myself above it.

So any info on what routes experienced pilots would reccomend and how they did it and how it worked out for them would be very much appreciated, as well as info on how being a pilot asks the family life. I know I've asked a pretty decent amount of questions, but I am trying to figure out how to do this right if I end up doing it, and there is a pretty good chance of it.

Thanks kindly for any help.