View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 AM
JustaRampagent
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: HBC
Default Team work........

Good Morning All!

Today I had an incident with a FO from Air Wisconsin from ISP to PHL and I would like to share….

Now ISP is a very small station so most employees including myself are cross training. So this morning I was working the first flight checking in passengers and working the bag room. Now the flight leaves at 6:30AM and I arrive at 5:00AM. So today at 5:00am I checked the aircraft to see if deicing was needed, but today we were lucky there was no visible moisture and the temperature was no where close to freezing. So I proceed to help check in passengers. Normally in the winter time this flight is done by a total of 6 agents but now because of the “cut backs” only 4 agents. So at 6:00 I drive out to the aircraft with the bags and I see the FO doing the walk-around. A couple min late I walk onto the aircraft after the FO completed his walk-around and see if the FA needs anything. (ice) The FO looks to me and says “don’t even ask if we want to board” I was shock by his attitude but I figure it’s early and he got off the wrong side of the bed. Then seconds late he proceed to say how he was at the gate waiting for 26 min!!! and how no one was there to give them access to the aircraft. I said ok and listen to his concerns. Now the passengers begin to board and I see him and the FA talking to each other and looking at their watches. Now I’m in the cargo bin loading up the bags and I see the FO again with his flash light doing another “Pre-Flight” lol At this point I’m heated because I know what he was doing but I remain professional and continue to load the bags. Now its time to give the crew the paper work and the FO again ask me “why we were late” and I tried explain to him that we didn’t see them get off the hotel van and we had no way of know they were at the gate. I explain to him that we are working with less staff than usual and it would be best if he could just check in with us at the ticket counter say “good morning” and we would know the crew is here. His response was “that’s not his job” and we should know exactly what time to crew shows up every morning!!! At this point I really wanted to tell him what was on my mind but I notice the Captain didn’t say a word or make any facial expression. I know times are hard now but I’m tired of people saying “ramp agents don’t give a…” I always give 110% every time but for him to say “it’s not my job” was not cool. If everyone followed the philosophy of “it not my job” this industry would be in even worst shape than it is right now. I believe the flight went out 3 mins late…..I guess that his way of “showing us up” but it’s a lose lose situation if you ask me.

Sorry for my rant but to avoid this situation from occurring again, Please (and I know it’s not your job) any crew flying out of ISP in the morning next time just check in with the ticket counter. Usually 9 out of 10 times the paper work is already printed out and waiting for you but because we are currently short staff incident like this occur.