Thread: Rwy Incursion
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Lowlevel
What's A Weekend?

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: Big...So Big

Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Doesn't matter how many pilots push on the brakes on the ERJ, only thing that matters is who pushes harder, all Electronic mumbo jumbo.
I never posted a thread for this earlier because I have been waiting for the ntsb website to update (around the holidays it was about 2 weeks behind), but it seems that it is now updated.
I saw the captain and FO in CVG the night of the incident. They said they were headed to JFK. I was off to somewhere else. The next day, I was back in CVG and saw them both again. They told the story of the night before and stated that they were both pulled off the trip and sent to CVG to meet with FAA, NTSB, ALPA, and company on Monday morning (incident happened on Saturday night). They both seemed quite upset about the whole thing.

The story:
Freedom, landing 22L was cleared to land
Comair, landing 22R was cleared to land
Freedom landed and exited at Juliet
Comair was flaring (FO's leg) when captain noticed ERJ taxing on Juliet seemed to be going faster than he should if he planned on holding short 22R
As OH touched down (captain stated around mid to end of touchdown zone) the ERJ entered 22R.
Both pilots stood hard on brakes and full reverse was used
Aircraft stopped one cenerline marking before Juliet, missing rear of ERJ (which continued to roll across 22R).
Pilots stated that front of aircraft may have missed Erj if they did not stop, but wing would probably have hit.
(full reverse was used until full stop. Note: centerline markings are 120 feet long)
After exiting rwy, Comair asked tower if ERJ was cleared to cross and reply was "He isn't talking to me, I did not clear him. All kinds of alarms went off up here when he entered the rwy"

I was not there, so I don't know. I do know the CA and FO and they don't seem to be the type to lie about this and seemed really upset when I was speaking to them the next day.

I am still trying to find the atc recording. All I have found on that date so far was Freedom Air 6277 not making their turn on climb out from 31L and causing ATC to stop a DAL heavy from climbing into him, but I guess that tape is a forgery too