View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
agrinaut
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by Razorback09 View Post
Any evidence that flying a Crop Duster and being exposed to the chemicals contributes to cancer? I may end up doing this once I graduate college and I was wondering about the effects of the chemicals.
Razorback09, You raise a valid question.

I have flown ag planes since back in the late seventies, and planning on flying them again this year. I am about to turn fifty years old. I have no cancer or any other medical problems that I am aware of. I know, and have known many,many ag pilots down through the years and while yes, there has been a few that have developed cancer, the vast majority have not. I think this would be representitive of the general population of people. Matter of fact, I am doing my ATP training right now with an ag pilot that just turned seventyeight years old. He looks healthy and strong. Other than the normal concerns about cancer that everyone shares, I don't think that ag pilots are more "prone" to getting it.

There were several studies done down through the years where ag pilots would be monitored with weekly blood tests and such for several years at a time. I don't recall these test's finding anything out of whack with the pilots involved. I was included in some of this.

Also just want to add that the products used these days are not even close to the toxicity of products used years ago. The airplanes are so much safer, and the big thing is that todays ag pilot is a professional aviator/businessman/good neighbor. Sure, their are still some "cowboys" out their but they are becoming less and less by the year. This industry is certainly not the same as it was even back when I started. It is, and will make more changes for the better.

Ag aviation is a great way to make a living. You just gotta be very careful. More than likely, it's not cancer that will kill you in this industry. This type of flying is not a game and should be taken very seriously.

Good luck to you.