View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 11:06 AM
corl737
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: sitting at computer keyboard

Damn, what a country we live in!
I knew you SWA guys would be all over that. It is just so much fun spewing out crap and everybody actually latches on to it.
Glad we could make your day!
The best spin I have heard lately is how SWA is the red headed stepchild
that the Wright AMendment abuses horribly.
That would be "canyon blue" headed. The red is on the belly.
The true fact is that the Wright AD. is a LOVE FIELD issue. It has to do with ANY AND ALL Airlines flying from DAL.

If American or ANY OTHER AIRLINE flew from DAL they would have to abide by THE SAME RULES.
Quite true. To my knowledge, no one who actually understands the law believes otherwise. The key, however, is to take the time to read it. Too many folks on both sides of the issue like to shoot from the (_insert body part of your choice_) armed only with the info fed to them from carefully crafted public relations efforts.

The interesting part of the argument to me, however, is the notion that Dallas didn't live up to their part of the 1968 Regional Airport Concurrent Bond Ordinance agreement by shutting down all commercial operations at Love Field. In fact (and you can look it up), the 1968 Ordinance stated that the cities should "take such steps as may be necessary, appropriate and legally permissible . . ." to shut down service. (It's that "legally permissible" phrase that so often is conveniently overlooked.)

After numerous court battles going all the way to the US Supreme Court, it was established that commercial operations at Love Field could not legally be restricted.

When the airline industry was deregulated by the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978, SWA desired to start interstate routes to New Orleans from Dallas. They applied to the Civil Aeronautics Board for approval to begin service on this route. The CAB approved the route stating that under the provisions of the Deregulation Act it did not have the authority to deny it.

Fearing a new threat to DFW from the precedece established by the CAB's ruling, DFW and its protectors ran to congress with their worries. Possessing a great deal of influence within congress as the Speaker of the House, Fort Worth's representative, Jim Wright, authored the amendment that bear. Thus, the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 was sidestepped by the act of changing the laws to allow regulation in this market. (Interestingly, the bill his amendment was attached to was titled "International Air Transportation Competition Act" designed to promote airline competition!)

Oh..... and one more thing Been taking drug and Alcohol tests for over 2 decades now never missed the cup once!
"Please share your secret," he asked as he dried his hands on his pants.