View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by de727ups View Post
.......To answer the OP's question about the intern turbine time thing. I believe ATP has planned for a long time to operate a new model of the VLJ's (forget which one) in a charter or Frac type operation. They will need a fully qualified pilot for the left seat but will put an "intern" in the right seat to build turbine time. Depending on how this is structured, it could be seen as Gulfstream style PFJ, at worst, or simply loggable ride along time a la Eagle Jet International.

In the end, it's hardly proven how the industry will respond to such a unique program, even if there was any hiring going on for the industry to respond too...

In this hiring enviornment, I'd hardly suggest ATP "because" of the internship program. If you like ATP for other reasons, then knock yerself out, but I see the "internship" program as a highly unproven carrot that ATP is using to sell their program much like the RJ course used to be.

This conversation is really getting interesting to hear all the pros and cons about PFT/PFJ, not to mention the other thread about "Teaching students right and wrong about PFT/PFJ". I believe it's in the "Flight Training" forum. This subject seems to be the "line in the sand" for so many. I can see both sides of the argument. But can we really crucify the person that decides to take that route? It may just be what the doctor order for them. Not a whole lot of CFI jobs out there. If a person does decide to go the way of PFT, when things do pick up again, they will be in the hunt.

I got a call from Gulfstream today. Given the state of the economy and industry, they are offering a program where if you're not able to be offered a line position with them, for another 5K you can accumulate another 150 hrs of turboprop time in the 1900 flying as an FO. I wonder how much it would cost to go to say...FlightSafety and purchase 150 hrs in a KA200?

Mmmmm!

atp