View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 AM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post
....Ok, go to ATP. You have your multi commercial and perhaps your CFI. Guess what? Nobody's hiring and you now have a bank note due. Go to a local flight school near you. Keep working and pay for as much of the flight time out of pocket as possible. Get your ratings in a slightly longer time, get offered a job as a CFI there because the owner knows you and start building time and more valuable experience as a CFI, with lower debt. Makes that first year salary more livable and you have a leg up on the people that bought the ATP hype.

Ok, I'll bite. In the spirit of a balanced discussion, here's my personal situation.

My flight training is completely paid for. It doesn't matter how...it's paid for. I'm coming out this with ZERO debt. This is no bs. Now, given the inustry's current situation, why not position myself (w/PFT) to take advantage of the hiring spree when it picks up again? Is there some sort of unwritten pecking order for one to follow in this profession? I don't see it that way.

Now, my intention is to continue on through my training and obtain my CFI/MEI, then instruct; but why should I player hate on the person that chooses the PFT route? You know, I've thought about going over to PBI on the southside of the airport and hitting all the FBO's there like Signature, Galaxy and asking their pilots what do they and their colleagues think of PFT just so that I can get a different perspective on this issue.

atp