View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 01:17 PM
RVSM Certified
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by HSLD View Post
Consequently, some of the most difficult students have been those who completely immerse themselves in the bookwork and preparation for flight training.
Yes, indeed. Very well understood from a different profession and career perspective.

Flying airplanes is not linear, it's dynamic...
...If you train to rigidly regurgitate rote data points, matrix branches, or whatever you restrict the ability to react dynamically.
The engineer in me wants to make the world make some sense. The creative software designer in me and the much older Saxophone player in me, wants to "let it all flow..." I can do both.

That's why I thought of just using such a matrix for the training aspect. That part of my flying career where I'm creating the basic/fundamental neurological building blocks for being an optimal pilot. Just to give some structure to the mechanics/fundamentals that work for my particular brain. Other brains will vary in how they "pick-up" on new concepts.

Sure, early on in flight training some rote is required to establish safe habit patterns. If your matrix helps to learn rote SOP during chair flying that's great, but be aware there is MUCH more to safely moving airplane than memorizing a script.
Yes, indeed. Safe habit patterns early on in training - that's how I visualized such a matrix. But, I would not fly around with reams of flow-charts in the cockpit with me. After the ratings, I would expect the matrix to be "formed" and set into my subconscious, which would free up my conscious mind to deal with all the non-linear variable structures that I suspect you are referring to during the course of abnormal flight operations. [emergencies, surprise weather, air traffic anomalies, etc.]

So, I was thinking to use this tool just to provide some "good habit" mental structure from private through multi. The good thing about the matrix, is that it can also be flexible and amendable at any time with new and better information. It is only as rigid as the designer/user allows it to be.

The key to it, is the establishment of brand new neural nets in the brain and the reconfiguring of some that already exist with good, wholesome, appropriate and factually correct [error free] information [inputs] that gives a good mental baseline for interpreting events as they unfold [non-liner] during the course of flight operations. Sustaining the human intuition side of life, by providing a broad set of mental tools for interpretation and response to reality.

Nothing like merely memorizing a script. This works at the level of the subconscious as it is written into the brain during a period of "intensity" - that being, primary flight training. Ingraining, good habits - just like you said.

Thanks, for you insight and your help on this.