View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default In flight relief

Originally Posted by New B View Post
Unless you can land a local job I would hold off on that idea. Freight is generally very slow now and companies are falling like dominoes.

However as we all know you generally need one year experience to land a local job. The bottom feeder carriers like CR England, Werner, Swift that will hire you straight from CDL school are simply not even worth your time. You'll be lucky to make $30 grand there not $50K. You will live out of a shoebox at least two weeks at a time and be home for only 2 days.

I personally got very lucky and landed a regional slip seat driving job that brings in $800+ a week, not bad for being out just 2/3 days a week.

CubDriver is right, 80% of truck drivers are just down right nasty. When you walk across a truck stop parking lot you are treated to the stench of urine. On interstate on/off ramps you will count at least 5 urine jugs strewn across. When was the last time you heard of pilots peeing in a water gallon in the cockpit?

I am in the opposite dilema as you. I am sersiously considering starting my PPL training with the eventual hope of obtaining ATP certification.
Pilots use jugs too. Gatorade bottles work the best. I knew one guy who would use air sick bags and threw them out the little side window. The problem was that it was in a high wing twin. The prop always got the bag and would then cover the plane with its exploding contents.

If you think that flying will be much different then trucking is would think again.

Skyhigh