View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by RVSM Certified View Post
... do you think it is a good idea to get the Pitch/Power/Trim settings for the aircraft that I will be training with, so that when my Instructor asks me to do something with the aircraft, I'm not wasting valuable time mentally hunting for the correct Pitch/Power/Trim setting that will enable me to fly the aircraft the way my Instructors wants me to, during the Take-Off, Climb, Cruise, Descent, Approach and Landing phases of flight [the basic six]?
No, because it varies with each aircraft even within a model type. However there is one nice power management technique you can use in every trainer:

100 rpm or 1" MP = 5 KIAS or 100 fpm

And or subtract 100 RPM and stay level, and the airplane will speed up or slow 5 knots. Add or subtract 100 RPM and let the nose fall or rise, and the airplane will do so at a rate of about 100 fpm.

Originally Posted by RVSM Certified View Post
... if that same student already knew the Pitch/Power/Trim settings for the particular aircraft that he/she is training with, and knew in what order to execute control inputs for these same settings, would that student be able to handle the above task with more confidence, fluidity and better physical control of the aircraft? If not, why not?
Yes they would. But you need to do this as a combination of knowledge and motor skill, not just one without the other. I wouldn't bother memorizing any numbers until you have flown your trainer airplane with your instructor. Then you can take note of what does what in that particular airplane. Knowledge of power pitch trim settings without any sense of how the aircraft will respond will produce mechanical flying, and not knowing any settings (by the number) will make you a very rough aviator when you get back in the plane after being out of it for a while. You need both types of knowledge.