Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Ian178
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Hi suppakuppa, i'm in a similar situation so I thought that I would reply also. I'm 22, and have about 45 hours of college. I would really like to be a pilot someday, possibly even commercially, but before I think of pursing flying I am going to finish my degree.

In my life experience, everything takes more time and money than you think it will at the start. College and flight training are both expensive, and if money is an issue for you at all, it will probably be harder than you think to make progress at both at the same time.

Finish school in something lucrative, and in demand like accounting, finance or engineering. It will help you throughout your whole life, and you will be able to get your life on track after college while you are getting your pilot training, instead of sinking into more debt (not the best prospect in this economy).

I'm about to transfer to an engineering school, and I just got a job as a baggage handler at the airport. Hopefully I will make enough money after college to afford to pay for lessons out of pocket, and pay all of my bills at the same time.

Have you looked into a degree in some sort of engineering? I'm really biased because i'm an engineering major, but it is a great field. Plus the education you get in an engineering program can help you out in anything you do, as it is basically a scientific problem solving degree! If you can refine your real life problem solving skills you will succeed at everything you do, and given your interest in flying, you probably have an interest in technical things also.

Just thought you might like the opinion of someone in the same position as you. Good luck!