View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM
HSLD
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777

Originally Posted by Sky Angel View Post
Kansas State actively recruits women.
So it's just marketing, with no difference in training?

I know many people will chime in, but the ignore the marketing hype. All aviation training programs are doing everything they can recruit students. Look for a solid education over career promises - this might be an education outside of aviation.

Also consider:
  • That you probably won't find many (any?) working pilots that would suggest to their own kids that they should pursue aircraft piloting as a career.
  • There isn't a pilot shortage (by a long shot).
  • There is no shortcut for experience.
I realize that I'm far less enthusiastic than the glossy brochures put out by many flight schools. I don't want to scare you away, but you should have the benefit of knowing what the industry is really like.

When choosing a school, ask yourself just what it is that you want out of the training and why? That should narrow it down a bit and hopefully steer you towards a well rounded college degree plan.

If you're looking for a fast track to the high dollar major airline gig by virtue of being female, you're about 15 years too late. In the late 80's there was an EEOC lawsuit filed against UAL that all major airlines subsequently complied with to some degree. It was a narrow window of preferential hiring that lasted a few years in order to comply with the consent decree but those days are long gone.

If flying is your dream and passion, I say go for it, but be an educated consumer.