View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 09:54 PM
mdt301
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Default Fair winds my fellow aviators....

I am hanging up the headset for a gun belt. I was laid off earlier this month because my boss found out I was considering other employment. They were looking to cut payroll so I basically gave them a reason. As it turns out I was offered a job with a police department in the Dallas area. I have to say aviation is one of the most unforgiving careers when the economy goes bad.(Which from research is about every 10 years) I have been flying for a living since 2004. My salary started at 12k and ended at 50k. I have had two companies close the doors on me, which sent me looking for employment. Nothing is ever stable in aviation. As much as I love flying I can't put my family with that burden for the rest of my career. However, thats not to say that I didn't have some of the best times of my life, because I did! But for me there are more important things in life than the thrill and enjoyment of flying professionally. Good luck to all those who choose to stay. I do not recommend this profession as a career, MAKE IT YOUR HOBBY! However, if you can't stay away go fly helicopters!

Good Luck,
mdt301