View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:27 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Pylot View Post
Now I know this has been discussed alot, and I know that alot of airlines are making it a requirement to hold a 4yr degree. My question to you is during the next few years and with the high demand of pilots been needed. How long will airlines if any hire applicants that hold no degree what so ever? I'm going through training right now and am just trying to prepare for the next steps and am just curious if taking online college courses ontop of the flight training will be too stressful or not?

The demand for pilots is cyclical...right now there is a relatively high demand at the regional level, so you should be able to get a regional job without a degree. But the degree helps to get hired at a better regional, and you will almost certainly be stuck at the regional level without one.

If hiring slows down, the regionals will use the degree as another weeding out criteria...you will never even get considered.

You can safely assume that you will never get a major airline job without a 4-year degree, and a masters will help. Before somebody chimes in that they got a major job with 1.7 GPA and a GED, I will acknowledge that there is always the 1 in 500 exception to the rule...do you feel lucky?