Thread: Type Rating
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 07:21 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Ah... okay, that changes things a bit... Since that's the case, ask yourself where you want to be in one year... then ask the same question for five years.

Are you looking at an airline or corporate background? Charter? Where do you ultimately want to end up? Do a bit of research into companies that are hiring and the fleets they operate. Consider career expectations at each company (for instance I know that I probably won't ever move from the Encore that I am flying, simply because it is the only aircraft they fly).

If you are considering a corporate job, consider either the Citation 500 series, the Lear45 or higher, Falcon or a Hawker type (Consider the smaller aircraft in those categories such as the Falcon 20). Odds are that with a type rating and 1000 hours you can find a job in the right seat of one of those types.

If you are considering the airline route, having the CRJ type will definately give you some edge over other off the street applicants.

Make sure that you give some thought to industry conditions, where you want to live and starting salaries. One thing that you might try to hunt down is the NBAA survey of salaries, or the salary edition of Professional Pilot magazine to get an idea of corporate pay rates.

~J