View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Ewfflyer
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

The advances in the G1000 are just outright awesome. The Perspective is just a move catered version of this unit. I fly TBM850's with the Gigantic middle screen and keypad(just like in the Citation Mustang), and it's the perfect compliment to this aircraft. I also fly the Avidyne systems in all the Piper products, and love them too as a pilot. Functionality between units does take a little while to get used to, but once you're comfortable, things are natural as with the old systems.

I have huge mixed emotions about the parachute. There is already an accident where a gentleman(300hr pilot) in his brand new Perspective equipped plane, had to pull the chute because he upset himself over trying to manage closing the door and/or returning to the airport in a Marginal VMC or IMC situation. He also tried hitting the "Magic blue button" and it didn't have enough time to level the aircraft, so he had to pull the chute.

My problem is people use the chute, and the magic blue button as a huge crutch, instead of learning the necessary skills. They are so amazed about the technology that is infront of them, how could they possibly mess up right???

I know you specifically will ensure that they will learn the proper techniques and have proficiency to fly the plane, but there are many programs out there (like the PIC IFR training course) that power you out in 10-30 days, and I just haven't seen the safe results from it. I also don't believe in the FITS style of training either, but that's another day.

Hope you enjoy the flights in that bad-boy, because it is a very fast and efficient bird! Good luck with the training.