View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Max Glide
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Default NWA Jump Seat policy for Mesaba

Hello All,

Just need an input on jump seat ‘Priority’ when boarding on NWA mainline flight. It just happened a few days ago at SFO when I, as a Mesaba First Officer, was trying to hitch a ride to MSP to report for flight duties.

I was first at the gate and the friendly gate agent had my form signed by the captain and asked me to wait till everyone is on board. I patiently waited as I normally do.

While the last few passengers were boarding, another Mesaba pilot, also a First Officer, showed up and asked for the jump seat. Plane was full and he was told that the only jump seat (B757) has been allotted (to me). He then demanded to know if I were junior/senior to him. His attitude didn’t bode well with the very polite Gate staff. They said it didn’t matter because both of us were ‘not’ main line pilots so it’s on ‘First Come First Service’ basis.

Apparently, the pilot wasn’t convinced and started lecturing the gate agents and said that if were senior to me – which none of us at that time knew if that was the case – he would go first. The gate agents politely disagreed with him. He then came to me and demanded to see my ID to ascertain who was senior. It seemed a bit odd to me that how he wanted to run the show and it was quite awkward as there were about 10 other non-revs standing near the gate and by this time were being ‘entertained’ by our not-so-friendly First Officer who was in a full ‘demand’ mode.

He had to the balls to tell me that if I get on the plane and I were junior to him, which I was, I’m breaking company policy for Jump Seating. I politely told him that I am not aware of NWA policy of ‘First Come First Service’ and I’d be happy to give up my seat to him if indeed that was the case. The gate agent told me that he can not let the other, now incessantly rude – pilot go as I showed up first.

Ok, to make it short, he didn’t get on the plane and I did. While being greeted by the friendly Flight Deck crew and settling down, the gate agent came in with final papers and told the captain about the mishap at the gate. Captain asked the name of that pilot.

Anyone knows what’s the proper procedure for the above scenario?