View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM
250 or point 65
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Default How to log this very specific time

The situation:

1) I may be hired on at as a jump pilot, so I need to log 25 hrs of time in type to fall under the DZ's insurance.
2) Their current pilot is showing me how the plane works and the in's and out's of specifically being a jump pilot, but he is not a CFI. He will be sitting there for at least the first 25 hrs.
3) I am have a comm single, but am not single current.

I've gone over the reg's pretty thoroughly, and can't quite find anywhere that says how to log this time.

The problems:

A) How do you think I should log this time while "training"? Just log it as flight time, but not PIC or SIC or Dual Received? I believe I cannot currently log it as PIC because I am not current and there is a passenger on board (just the trainer after everyone jumps out).
B) Is it legal to not log it as PIC, but still log the landings so I can at least be current? It would be if he were a CFI, but I'm unsure if its possible to log landings not as PIC.

There are 2 obvious solutions. I go rent a 152 and CFI and go 3 times around. Or, the trainer is a CFI. Then I could log the landings as Dual Received just like I would in the 152.

Anyone got an idea or had a similar situation?