View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM
stealth114
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: CFI - SEL
Exclamation contact lens

HectorD

I will highly recommend you get contact lens.. I see no problem in using it. I have been wearing contact lens for several years now and will never use glasses. They are extremely comfortable and you arent even aware that you have them on. The technology has advanced so much that they are safe and very reliable for even the most demanding conditions and environments so I will assume for piloting, it shouldnt be a problem. I am yet to start my PPL but I work on the hangar and tarmac which is pretty harsh conditions due to the weather and all the other harsh elements and I have no problem whatsoever.

The pair I wear now is the extended soft lens by CIBA and it is worn continouous for 30 days . (You can sleep with these as well). It is important that you always follow proper care and make sure you use solution every morning to lubricate the lens. Some people prefere the daily disposables which is a fresh pair every day but the extneded wear is excellent nevertheless.

If you can get in touch with a contact lens research company or college that want first time users, that be an idea since they will teach you everything for lens care and give you up to 6-12 months free supply and give you free eye checkups to make sure your body doesnt reject it.

What I do and so many who wear contact lens do is keep a pair of glasses at hand incase of emergency. If you need to suddenly remove a lens or you lost one, you can easily put on your glasses. I also keep a few extra pairs and solution and case in my carry on where ever I am.

Regards