View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 PM
McAyr
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Default call sign AMFLIGHT

I worked at AMF from Oct. 2000 until Jan. 06 and piloted C402, BE99, Metro's, and the Brasilia all as captain. In that time I went from 1200 hours to the low 6000's. It was hard work with long hours in demanding conditions. In a lot of cases you are the stand alone source in executing a safe flight in all sorts of conditions. You will learn to fly weather aggressively and stay sharp in all your planning and operational skills (think Fate is the Hunter here). That is the PIC experience we want on our resume and the backbone to a resume that demonstrates confidence in your abilities to future employers. That is good.

What is not so good is 12-14 hour days spread over six days a week in aging aircraft. They maintain their aircraft to a higher standard than I have seen at other 135 operators. AMF has been in business for over 37 years, so they know how to perform in this type of environment. So what is wrong with that? The technology and advanced CRM practices common to 121 operators with newer aircraft are necessary tools you need today. These are critical pieces of knowledge for pilots beyond the "single-pilot ILS to minimums". Modern gold-standard practices are very important on your resume too. It was hard to convince prospective employers I could do those things as well our better than those with 121 PIC or FO regional jet or larger transport credentials. You can do it but it is an frustrating uphill battle, even with 4000+ PIC turbine.

As for the schedule you want...AMF's TDY temporary duty schedule is three weeks on, one week off. They will ask for more, so be prepared to stay out for six weeks.

My advice...jets with glass will take your career further, faster and have more perks. You may want to consider a Fractional as experience allows.

Good Luck