Thread: Air New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 10:36 AM
KoruPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Contract purgatory

The 777's have replaced the 767 and 747 on some routes, but it's not really supposed to be a 767 replacement across the board. We are, as far as I know, keeping the remaining six 767's for the forseable future to do the pacific routes. The 767 is a great plane for the discount routes, ie: you can fill it full of punters going for some sun and it makes money, hence, I believe, the intention to put it into service with Freedom. As far as the pilots are concerned this would be with mainline drivers. The Freedom/Zeal320 deal with the pilots is set up to protect mainline jobs; they hire one Freedom pilot for five of us, or something like that (can't remember the number). All the A320's are now with Zeal320 (replaceing freedom) and all the flight attendants on those birds are freedom/zeal. So the A320's we have stay in that operation. They sent a couple back, but not sure if they will sell off any more. If this code share with QF across the Tasman goes ahead it will affect pilot numbers. They are also reviewing Tahiti and appear to not like Hawaii at the moment. Not too sure why they cancelled Singapore as the flights have been pretty chokka other then during low season; someone should have explained low season I guess. Likely they don't want to compete against themselves with the new London run through Hong Kong. They have the crystal ball so know better then me. But if Tahiti goes, and with the age sixty rule coming in, plus the Tasman, my best guess would be a couple of years before they do any real hiring again so at least the guys on yes letters are picked up. Now that I said that I'll probably be in the left seat of a 737 next year.

The extra Freedom flying, if it happens, will likely be because they replave the Koru with yellow tails on existing leisure routes, and possibly more so across the Tasman.

No, you don't require an ATPL. They have hired recently with commercials, but as far as I know those were ex military guys.