Thread: Planesense
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Geronimo4497
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Formerly Avantair

[QUOTE=loudgarrettdriver]Has anyone heard of those pc-12s having an FCU problem requiring an AD. I have hear of a bunch deadsticking it in over the last year or so. A few in the Abaco where I frequently fly. Fact or Fiction?
QUOTE]

There were, in fact, some FCU issues in the past. A fix came out a while back, but I don't think it was an AD, but I could certainly be wrong on that. As far as I know, it was just a SB from the manufacturer and Pratt (?) and everyone in the fleet complied with it. Alpha was fortunate to be able to get all of the FCU's done right away, thankfully.

Now, the way it was explained to me was that the P3 air that was used to inflate the bellows in the FCU was (obviuosly) very hot and was degrading the sealants that kept the fuel out of the bellows. Once the sealant was comprimsied, fuel was allowed to leak into the bellows and "sink" it, causing the Ng to roll back to flight idle. I guess the the fix was to put some sort of defractor on the P3 inlet to keep the hot air from directly hitting the chamber. Our maintenance guys were tearing their hair our replacing all of these, but that did a fantastic job, as usual. Now, having said what I said, I in no way in heck know what I am talking about here. This is just the way it was explained to us stupid pilots. I'm sure that it is much more complicated than I wrote.

So yes, there was a problem, and it has been dealt with. As for the "bunches" of deadstick landings, I don't know about that. We have never had one (55,000+) hours in our fleet alone, but I'm sure there are others. I know the one in South Bend sounds like it, but we are all eager for the final report to come out.

On the SIC front, I believe the time is not worth very much. The only thing it really does is help get our co-pilots to the 1500 hours for the ATP mins. Worth much, no, but sorta useful.

Bored in the cockpit with a co-pilot in the Pilatus? NEVER! How the heck else am I supposed to eat my crew meal and read the paper??!!

Last edited by Geronimo4497; 11-06-2005 at 06:25 AM.