Thread: 777 tanker?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
TankerBob
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: KC-135T

The MPRS pods on the -135 are a maintenance nightmare. When I was in the northern sandbox we had I believe 3 MPRS jets (ie -135s with 2 drogue capability) and all of them had only 1 side working and we never got the parts as long as I was there. Also the system is alot slower then the boom, set up is a pain. Once its working it does ok, but it is slower then the boom and there are many many more maintenance costs involved as well.

So the theory of 2 fighters getting gas at the same time might sound great. The actual practice isn't working out so well.

To be honest I don't think the Air Force even knows what it wants. If that were the case we would have had this solved along time ago. Boeing should just fire up the 720 line again and start make -135s. Then the answer is simple make -135s to replace the -135s. I don't really think the planners in requisitions really give to craps about ramp space. The fact of the matter is that no matter who gets the bid the rate of 767/777/or scarebus to -135s is NOT going to be 1:1 that will become a moot point. Everyone should be used to the do more with less doctrine by now.