View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
CAPIP1998
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: In the doghouse

Originally Posted by flyboyshell View Post
I think Congressman DeFazio fails to realize that barbers and nail technicians don't have to pay for every hour they stand in a salon or barbershop. If a pilot builds time in a 172 (worst case scenario, used for this example only) at a rate of $125 (this may vary on location and institute) an hour it would take at least $70K to build the 600 hrs and $212K to build the 1700 hrs. If this were the case I would have had to consider a different career path. This guy has no idea!
I personally think he has exactly right. The point is that the GOVERNMENT regulates and requires more experience from barbers than airline pilots. He hit the nail on the head. Airline pilots should be at the top of the industry. We (collectively) are flying millions and millions of people a year, not boxes or a few execs, but a large portion of the general public. As such wouldn't it make sense that the absolute best, most experienced pilots in the industry work here? Wouldn't we have a better safety standard (and work environment) if being a regional / major pilot was the culmination of your career and NOT a stepping stone?