View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 AM
250 or point 65
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Ok, I'll bite on the reason why you may be getting flak. I'll provide what I did when I taught CFI's.

What's the point of learning to do something? Its so you can accomplish the tasks that are required of that something and do what that something is meant to do. The CFI candidate needs to learn how to do things that CFI's do...like make lesson plans, come up with Plans of Action, teach specific topics, etc. I looked at it as my goal was to guide them towards the outcome, but it was their job to create a Plan of Action for their training (which I'd critique), make lesson plans (which I'd critique), and teach specific topics (which I'd critique).

I treated my commercial pilot candidates as commercial pilots, so I treated CFI candidates like CFI's. What does that do for CFI candidates specifically? To create a PoA, they need to research what areas of study they must master. This requires research of the PTS, FOI, FAR, AIM, etc. Then each lesson plan requires them to re-research what they were taught to be MORE in depth.

Basically, by teaching themselves (while being guided by me) they learn how to research, teach, learn, listen, explain, understand, field questions, and all the other things that they will actually be doing on a day to day basis.

Also, a note on the importance of lesson plans. First, most CFI's do not follow a specific lesson plan while instructing a student. However, doing your own lesson plans is a valuable opportunity to research things a CFI candidate forgot as well as an opportunity to expand on the knowledge they already had. EVEN MORE IMPORTANTLY, it is completely unacceptable for any CFI to say, "Thats what my CFI said". Every word out of a CFI's mouth needs to be backed up by a document that the CFI can refer to. Lesson plans are a great place to store that information. When a student says, "my last CFI said XXX", if xxx is wrong, you can back up your information. Also, if the CFI forgets a bit of information or a number and the lesson plan includes specific references and pages, the info can quickly be recalled.

I would encourage any CFI applicant to do their own lesson plans, from scratch. The first few are supposed to be terrible, thats a great learning experience. The first time teaching is supposed to be terrible. Just like when first learning steep turns or landings, learning happens through practice and guidance.