View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 03:17 PM
majortom546
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by PasserOGas View Post
Well, I went ROTC and the medical can be gotten pretty much when you sign up for the program. As for AD being easier, this is somewhat true however be advised that if you go ROTC you could end up being something other than a pilot. In fact, odds are that is exactly what will happen. They only except the top guys and your whole college career is spent essentially interviewing for the part. Of my class, 15 wanted pilot slots and 2 got them. The rest got 4 years of some job they really didn't want. My GPA really suffered due to all the time I had to spend in the detachment trying to impress the cadre, and if you don't get the spot you basically waisted your time. Also, the guard or reserve unit you are looking at makes a huge difference. For example, you will probably have an easier time getting hired in Fairbanks, Alaska than in Honolulu, Hawaii. (No offense to any AK guys on here.) Just know that the more "desireable" the airframe and location the harder it will be to get a job. Of course the reverse is also true.

OTS is the other option (if you aren't going to the Acadamy). There you have to wait until you have your degree, the slots are harder to come by, but if you are picked up, you will be guaranteed a pilot slot and won't risk ending up a security forces officer or some other job. You will also get to enjoy college and not spend all your time trying to impress your ROTC instructors.

If you went guard, I believe they send you for a medical as soon as you are hired. If you were to enlist as a flier (load master or boom) you would receive a medical, but not as in depth as the pilots. Be aware though that the Guard and Reserve tend to fight for their people a lot more than the AD does and if they hire you from within the odds of getting a waiver for some small ailment goes way up.

In all of these programs having flying hours is huge! Get as much time as you can. If you can rack up 500 hours or more you should have no problem getting in through OTS or finding SOME guard or reserve unit to hire you. It will even help in ROTC, though not as much due to the fact that your commanders ranking is the lions share of whether you get a spot or not.
I think then I will just focus on getting the best grades I can during college and applying for OTS after. I will try to do as MUCH flying as I can during college also. Also, I will want to join some clubs while at college and try to be a leader as much as possible. Will they look at that when applying for OTS?
Math and Science come very naturally for me as well and I usual excel in these areas. The motivation to become a pilot will also keep me in check.
Also, I am not yet a United States Citizen. I was born in England and hold a permenant resident card that expires in 2012. Would I be better off applying for citizenship now or waiting?
I want to give something back to this country and would love to be part of the US Military and have no problem doing whatever it takes.
Thanks for your responses so far, they have been helpful.