View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:38 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post

It's much easier if you get off at the Nakatsu exit (M-15), one stop beyond Umeda, then exit #1 to the Ramada Hotel. Then south to HonjyoNaka St., left/east two blocks and it's on the left. Brown awning with a big yellow Y. The price has gone up to 600 yen, but it's still worth it.

I agree that the Nakatsu station is the better choice. It's smaller (less confusing) and closer to the Y Cafe. I used Exit 4, which drops you on the sidewalk pointed in the correct direction (south). There's a Starbucks adjacent to the entrance, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to stop there.

If it's Honjyo Naka Street that heads east, I'll believe it, but there was no way I saw to confirm that in English. It's the street that intersects under the Hankyu Line Train rails -- the blue staircases mentioned by RogAir. From there you'll pass by the PIAS building, cross under a highway overpass (Shin-Mido-suji Ave./ Hwy 423), and then cross under a rail overpass (JR Kyoto Line). If you weren't hungry before you began the trek, you should be by the time you get there.

Texas toast? nah, more like Alaska toast -- 3 inches thick. Japanese/Australian honey and strawberry preserves. Eggs cooked to order -- about 5 of them to start. Very tasty bacon. Excellent coffee. Even considering the 230 yen each way subway ride, it's well, well worth the time, effort, and money.

The Swissotel Nankai Osaka concierge can give you a map of the city (not the little local area map) that has a good "Kita Area" inset detail. The Umeda area has lots of things to do and see -- the Ferris Wheel being one. If you haven't been to The Floating Garden Observatory atop the Umeda Sky Building, you should give it a try. (See also the Wiki article and Floating Garden).

Four Stars