View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM
FighterHayabusa
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 150 left seat if I'm lucky

Originally Posted by Winged Wheeler View Post
OK, let's stipulate that this trucker's health insurance is more important than my right to the money that I earned with my time and labor. Let's also recall that money is fungible.

Does this trucker, or any of his covered dependents:

--consume more calories than the RDA?
--use tobacco, alcohol, coffee, or other drugs?
--have expenses for a pet?
--have expenses for a hobby?
--have a TV, computer, or other non-essential computer electronics?
--have expenses for cable, internet etc?
--Do the live in a house that is bigger than they need?
--do they have a car that is bigger than they need?
--do they have other, non-subsistence expenses?

Are any of these expenses more important than my right to keep my own money?

WW
I know what you're getting at (I'm a Dave Ramsey fan and my "hypothetical" trucker was a caller trying to get out of medical debt). The majority of people "hurting" have done it to themselves; an xbox 360 is more important than health insurance. This is not who I care about. I'm talking about a guy who can't get health insurance, not can't afford it. Wants it, but is uninsurable because of a previous heart attack. He could have that heart attack, and you and I will pay for it with higher premiums anyway. He goes bankrupt, we pay. How about we pay, he doesn't go bankrupt?

I make a very good living, I save way more than the average and after 8 years of this I have just reached the point where I can afford my first heart attack if I was denied insurance (damn Great Recession). How is this guy who might make half what I do supposed to not go bankrupt if no one will give him insurance? What's his motivation to not just give up, stop working and go on Medicaid?