View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
FighterHayabusa
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 150 left seat if I'm lucky

Originally Posted by Winged Wheeler View Post
Beans and rice. Rice and beans. I've heard him before--not a bad show, at least the couple I've listened to.

I'll get back to your trucker, by and by. There are two big problems with health insurance: one is that the government is involved in it to the extent that the market forces acting in it are badly distorted. The other problem is that health insurance isn't doing what insurance is supposed to do.

Insurance is purchased by consumers to cover big, unexpected, or necessary expenses if you become unable to pay these yourself. You take out mortgage insurance to pay off your mortgage should the collateral (your house) be destroyed. Same with auto insurance. If you finance your car you might carry insurance to repair it if it is damaged. Once you own it, you might reduce your coverage to liability only.

Health insurance, as it is used today, is used to pay for routine checkups, innoculations, simple prescriptions, etc. What if car insurance paid for your full service oil change (with just a $15 copay)? And the government, through the motorcaid program paid seniors oil changes at no expense to them. How much do you think the jiffy lube would be charging?

This model is imperfect as people, and their bodies, are not cars. But I think the economic point here is valid.

I'll try later to suggest what I would do to improve this system.

WW
If I had my way:
1. Caps on medical liability payments. Gross malpractice lands the doctor in jail, not just without a license. This could save 5% off the top and possibly encourage more into the field.

1b) New degrees in between nurses and doctors that can provide for most primary care without needing a doctor supervisor. Incentives for new doctors (one of Canada's biggest problems is a doctor shortage).

2. Term limits for all politicians.

3. Mandatory emergency and catastrophic coverage - subsidies for those who REALLY can't afford it.

4. Non profit co-ops backed by government in case the worst happens, or government money with private administration for high risk pools. Basic coverage only, but consumers can buy-up higher tier care with private insurance on top of this.

5. Term limits for all politicians.

6. Move the cost of health care back to the consumer, replacing employer based coverage with individual tax credits. Let the consumer know what they are really paying and they will get angry if the doctor opens a $500 "suture kit" to give you two stitches.

7. Laws preventing insurance companies from dropping customers if they become sick. No lifetime maximums. Maybe disallow pre-existing condition screening... not sure about this one.

8, 9, 10 Term limits!

I don't know what to do about Medicare and Medicaid. I just don't see the private insurance market clamoring to cover people that a) can't pay for it or b) are very likely to be sick very soon. Medicare could probably start later now that people are healthier longer.