View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Rightseat Ballast
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: E170/175 CA

It looks like Colgan will get the beat downs as well, unless all those Saabs go to BOS.

It is great that Airways wants to grow in DCA, but I see no mention of new gate space there. And I think we know how hard it can be to get a gate in DCA as it is. If Airways wants to build a stronger customer base in DCA, they are going to have to do something about the Commuter World. Passengers hate being crowded into the gate 35 area, listening for their flight among the 15 that are boarding nearly simultaneously, with announcements made in the most unclear strains of English imaginable (except for those by Wally, the game show host). It seems like the new destinations out of DCA are asking for RJ service, which means more congestion. And, unless more gate space is acquired, Airways won't be able to just add mainline flights.

This will be interesting. I do hate to see anything bad happen to the AWAC guys. You have tried your best to stay afloat without cutting your own throats, and you continue to get thrown around the system. I don't see where Airways could fit the displaced RJ and prop aircraft coming from LGA. DCA is pretty full, CLT is full, Philly is full, PIT is open but of no interest to Airways, and I have no idea what PHX is like. Maybe those CRJs and Dash 8's could end up replacing Mesa in 2010, when their exclusivity in PHX expires.