Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 AM
keoni
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Smile Flight Club or College, What's the best opt.

Hey everyone,
I have very limited resources, but I want to be an airline pilot. I am starting from scratch, as in 0 hours, 0 training... just some guy with a goal. However I have been looking around at the flight training options that I have here in Honolulu.... So far all three have their advantages and their parts that still got me scratching my head.

The main question I have is this... what will be the best instruction option for me in the long run if I want to work for a major airline one day.... An actual College program or a local flight club?

I already have my BA, so through the college program I'd only be doing the flight classes to get my certificates and ratings. THe program boasts, all the latest equipment (new aircraft, navigational equip etc), it's own airfield (better use of flying time), and they work in association Galvin Flight School....I know that through the University program I will have a quote "richer experience" and will receive the most up-to-date training possible....
However I could go through the local flying clubs for quite a bit less, and they would be flexible... Both offer Part 61 and Part 141 training, and above all, rental fees are about a third less than the college program I want, and the two flying clubs also offer what seems to me, the same classes I will need for my ratings.....

What is the best option? Would going through flight training through the college give me a competetive edge? How much better would it be than just going through a local flying club? Does it even really matter, since I will bascially be learning the same thing when I am starting out? Beside, aren't the amount of hours I have and the fact that I am certified to be a commercial pilot the most important thing in the long run? I am open to any opinions or advice available...