View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 11:45 AM
redbaronahp
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: B787 Captain

CASS is up and running now.

Management will hire people directly into the left seat if they really need to but they've had bad luck with it in the past. Most people will have to fly the caravan first before being an ATR Captain but its not a requirement. I think the requirements to be Captain are 3000 total time with 2000 PIC or 1500 PIC with a type rating and 1000 multi engine. Pilots that come in as an ATR FO with 1000 total time will eventually have to fly the Caravan simply to build the PIC time. I came from another cargo operator flying single pilot in Cessna 402s and that was enough experience to allow me to upgrade to Captain on the ATR after putting in my time in the right seat.

For pilots that want to move up to FedEx, Mountain Air may or may not be the best place to go. One would think that flying a FedEx owned aircraft operating out of FedEx stations that it would count for something but I don't know that it does. I don't know of any pilots that have gone from being a Captain at Mountain Air to FedEx. The Mountain Air pilots that I know of that have gone to FedEx all went to fly jets elsewhere first.

Mountain Air offers decent pay and good schedules that allow for a nice life at home, but not a lot of time building.