View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
sellener
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: CFII
Default dead reckoning IFR

Ok so, my last question on non-radar IFR procedure made me curious. I would probably never use it, but I had a CFII tell me that dead reckoning can be used as a suitable means of navigation for IFR.

Perhaps that depends on your definition of 91.205 (d)(2)

What are people's opinions on dead reckoning as a means of navigation for IFR.

Obviously its used briefly in procedure turns and holding procedures. But how about its use enroute to get you to a initial fix to pick up an airway.

For example, say you have an airway running east to west 20 miles north of your departure airport. The only VOR to fly direct to, to pick up an airway is 20 miles south of your airport and you intend to take the east to west airway that lies 20 north of your departure airport on a route to the west.

It seems dumb to have to fly 20nm out of the way to pick up the enroute structure.

There lies a fix on the airway just northwest of your departure airport that would work nicely but for this example you have no GPS or Radar to get you direct to that fix.

Could this be a situation where dead reckoning could be used to get you to the initial fix northwest of your departure airport lying on your intended airway?