View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
III Corps
No one's home

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by B757200ER View Post
What if you disconnect the FACs?
You would have to fail things to get into Alternate Law. No way you can get beyond 67deg roll, 30 deg pitch up, 20 nose low in Normal Law.

One of the things we did with all the 'buses in Toulouse was to do a full aft stick hard pull to find the G limits. We would hold full aft stick until the nose parked at 30 degs nose up. With the speed rolled back, hold it until the speed decayed and hit angle of attack limits which would lower the nose. As speed continued to fall off, you would wind up at (as I remember) at ALPHA Prot at which the auto-thrust would not allow you to go any slower.

In Direct Law, no envelope protection.. no bank angle or pitch limits so I guess you could roll it.

Tex Johnson is the famous 707 pilot who rolled the 707 over the Seattle Regatta in July 1955. You can see a video of the roll at
http://www.avpics.de/mov/civ/civ.htm

WAY back when.. I had a KC-135 in about 100deg of bank in Thailand during the Linebacker sorties but that was a LONG time ago when I was still bullet-proof. When the nose started falling through, I knew the roll was going to become a VERY high speed dive recovery.. if it was recoverable at all. I rolled out...