View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 10:04 PM
bodycheck
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Default Strongbags vs PNT

I don't usually post anything, but I came across this thread, and I have to say that I bought the Vortex 2 from strongbags and this bag beats the 3 pnt bags that I've had.

The first 2 pnt bags that i paid for that were plastic, didn't last longer than 14 months. I called PNT (luggageworks) for warranty repair, and i got peaved to say the least when they wanted me to pay for shipping both ways for warranty work. They had the bag 3 weeks. Not good. Maybe things have changed, but Strongbags have my loyalty from the minute I opened up the box, and thoroughly checked out the Vortex 2.

I unzipped the inner lining of the V2, to inspect the construction, and they really have beefed up the bag from the previous model - which i think was their first product that they came up with. I hadn't started hearing about them until recently, so I checked them out and bought one.

I'm glad I did.

The zippers are top notch stainless steel with a groove on the slider part where the arm actually sets into that so the puller does not come off. Unlike my previous PNT bags where i lost a few zippers my first couple of months. No biggie, but just noticed that the zippers on the SB were significantly better.

The frame is as solid as it could be built, and is a few pounds lighter than the PNT bags.

The material, and everything else about the bag looks like it is high quality.

Yes it's made in China, but so is the skin from PNT!!!! Just look inside the bag for that made in china tag. It's there. The guys at PNT in Missouri, just assemble the bag in their factory with some metal pieces and screws. In my mind that is not a "made in the USA" product if they import the majority of their luggage from China. I have had a duffle bag that I still use from PNT that I like (expensive), that has a made in china tag in it.

I buy USA when I can, but when it just makes sense, I buy whatever works for me.

So to me, it was important to have a bag that was strong, with replaceable parts that I can change myself.

I talked to guys that had the first strongbag, and they liked them. The ones that i checked over did have a lot of zipper pulls missing, but he fixed that, and went even further by getting really smooth stainless steel zippers.

I haven't seen a V2 without a missing pull, and the guy I talked to had his V2 when SB first came out with the "improved" V2 version. He really liked it.

So take what you want out of 1 pilots opinion, and it is just that, but I am sold on Strongbags, and not by a slim margin. They beat PNT bags in price, weight, and quality. The guy knows what he's doing.

I did my homework, and all the issues mentioned above have been taken care of. Oh, I did read above that on the first one, there was part of the frame at the bottom where it was metal. There is no metal foot anymore - they molded their own solid plastic foot that is part of the frame. Won't leave any scratches on my hardwood, but then I won't drag it on the wood anyway.

I've had it with PNT. I gave them a shot, well 3 shots, and came up short on 2 of them. The other bag I just got tired of and was too small for me. 13"er.

Be good, be good at it.

BC