View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 08:05 AM
DMBinHBurg
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Wink Does Flying for Regionals really suck?

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. I have been lurking for a while. I have seen a lot of *****ing on the website about flying for the regionals and I was curious if it's really that bad. I know we all have bad days and forums like this are great to come and blow some steam. But I am considering making a jump to fly for the airlines so I am curiuos is the QOL really bad or do people enjoy working for the regionals? My background...

I am 28 and currently a business owner but am looking to possibly sell a do something else. I've been at it for almost 5 years. I have been flying for 10 years and own a 2004 Cirrus SR20. I love flying for fun but have always thought about flying for the airlines. I live in Virginia and would probably want to work at Colgan since pilots are back at base each night for the most part. I live near SHD & CHO so I have two bases in less than a hour drive. I am someone who enjoys taking weekend trips with my wife and traveling a lot. I know starting out weekends will be filled with work but after 2-3 years, does the QOL get better? I would have no plans on upgrading to majors because I don't want to be away from home 5 days a week.

The pay doesn't scare me off starting out because of the wifes salary and investments, I can get by. Plus after making captain, where I live, that salary will work.

Sorry for the long post, just curious if flying right now has gotten really bad and if people are really jerked around a lot by mangement. I want to fly but I also want mangement to respect QOL. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

T