Thread: Crew rules
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 05:02 PM
xfzz
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by jetlag7 View Post
Okay, I see.

Calling it a "rule" in your post seemed to suggest 10-in-24 was some sort of "optional" scheduling system that we have the choice to "practice" or not.

I'm sure you are aware it is in fact a Federal Law (FAR 91.1059 for "91K fractional operations" and FAR 135.267 for "on-demad jet-card flights") -- failure to honor it or abide by it in "practice" is illegal.

Hopefully you can appreciate my confusion on how you worded the question initially.

The answer is "YES" -- everyone (company schedulers and pilots alike) obeys the law and respects the 10-in-24 "rule" as it is written.
Thanks for your feedback. The reason that I asked such a question was, in commercial airlines, the 8-in-24 rule may be violated (even intensionally by the scheduler), but after that violating
duty period, crew must get longer rest.

I was wondering if this situation also holds for the fractional, in other words, whether it is a hard or soft constraint. I've checked the FAA regulations now, and it appears to be a hard constraint in general, unless under "extension of flight time", that means unforeseen events (weather etc) happened, then total flight time can be extended to 12 hours. But after that, it is not specified by the regulations whether a longer rest is needed.