View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 11:52 AM
dckozak
done, gone skiing

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Rocking chair
Default Fedex and "Juniority"

Razor,
Can't add much that Drew hasn't already said, re: typical work day (domestic). I try to fly intl and some of the same issues regarding commuting are (almost) the same as starting a domestic trip.
If you commute (as 60% at Fedex do) you got four ways to get work. Best one. drive. Bid flying that starts were you live, don't pax in (because you live there), get some pay for starting at home and, depending how far away you live from the airport, a relaxing start to your trip. Second best: Deadhead on the company nickel to some other (hopefully) near by city that your trip is sch to start from. Fedex has a procedure for this that requires you to check in twice, once when your within 24 hours of your sch deadhead departure (from domicle) that again when you are in position to operate your live leg. This last check-in must be either 8 or 12 hours before you are sch to operate depending on wheather your operating leg is domestic (8) or intl (12). BTW, this is also required for the first example but you can check in for both at the same time.
The third and forth way require you to jumpseat to your domicile, one via interline (other airlines, probably a pax carrier) or more likely on Fedex. We can book the JS, a reasonably painless affair unless you live in a (small) city with alot of other Fedex pilots commuting out of it.
Regarding Intl flying and commuiting, if your trip starts at domicile and has a long duty day (say MEM to Paris) than you need to show earlier than a normal hub turn and get rested in domicile, lest you get on the wrong side of the CP. Intl trips can be short (MEM to STN London and back, 36 hours+-) or very, very long. My next trip is a single departure (for the month) and is 310 hours TAFB, about 12 days. At least I only have one commute!
I hope this has be helpful to anyone consider Fedex, its probably pretty simailar at UPS. The way hiring is looking anyone here 6 months will be able to hold the MD-11, but things change fast. If you want in, call your buddies already here and talk about getting a recomendation.

BTW Drew, I'm not Dennis, not sure which Dennis your talking about. (Maybe your the guy who was calling to me in F streeet and I thought you were talking to someone else)