View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 AM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by SomedayRJ View Post
If I remember what I've read about administrative law and the FAA's revocation process, an emergency ticket-punching is for ongoing conduct that poses an imminent hazard to life or property. Pretty sure that they're caught they won't be doing that conduct anymore, and Deltawest have suspended them from further flight ops — they did this BEFORE the FAA got the shredder out.

Call your union, your company, and your AOPA Legal Services Plan attorney (you are a member, right? )

Its routine for Delta to suspend a crew when a incident happens. There really is no other option. Are they going to let them fly there next trip? The suspension in most cases works in the pilots favor. Delta suspends the pilot and sends them back to the school house for a couple of sims and retraining. When the FAA has its hearing Delta shows the steps they have taken and training the pilots have received and that is often the end of the story. The pilots go back to the line and everyone is happen. Its a system that has worked well and saved a lot of pilots from much worse punishments from the FAA.

On the subject of the role of the company, FAA and NTSB in actual accident investigations I can tell you that you have the priorities wrong. With the company and FAA the number one priority is reduce our legal liability. The 2nd priority is reduce our legal liability. The actual truth and cause of the accident are way down the priority list. The NTSB is supposed to be neutral and seek the cause of the accident. In reality they come under enormous pressure from the Airline, aircraft builder, FAA and any other party that might get sued. The pressure? Reduce our legal liability. If you seeing a trend here you will start to understand the process.