View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 05:14 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Agentessa View Post
As a new Private pilot, I've been trying to figure out the regulations on logging time, and it's a bit confusing. I've done some research and went though FARs, but just wanted to clarify some things for a peace of mind.. So,

1. When flying on an IFR flight plan with a CFII in VFR conditions - do I log PIC, or do act as PIC? ? Do I log dual received as well?
First off, logging PIC and acting as PIC are two unrelated concepts. In may cases you can log PIC even if you are not acting as PIC, and apply that time towards the aeronautical experience requirements for FAA ratings.

On an IFR flight plan, you cannot act as PIC unless you have an IR, so the CFII is acting as PIC. But you can log it, since you are the sole manipulator and rated in the airplane.

Generally, a condition of flight (day, night, VMC, IMC) does not inhibit your ability to log PIC as long as the flight is conducted legally.

2. When I'm under the hood - do I log PIC time?
Yes.

3.When flying actual IMC - can I log PIC if I'm not yet instrument rated? (I assume I can't but just to make sure)
Yes, you can as long as you are fully rated in the airplane.

4. Difference between acting PIC and logging PIC is not quite clear to me. Who has the final responsibility for the safety of the flight? If it happens that we bust Class B or something like that, who gets in trouble - me or CFI?
The acting PIC is more likely to get in more trouble, but you are both on the hook since you are both crewmembers on the flight. Exception would be a violatio of IFR rules..since you don't have an IR, the CFII would be solely responsible.

5. Then, when it comes to sim.time - I know there is only a certain amount you can log. BUT does it count toward total time? Can you log sim time as PIC time?
NO! NO! NO!

DO NOT LISTEN TO FLIGHT SCHOOL CROOKS WHO TRY TO TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN LOG SIM TIME AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN SIM!

Sim time can be logged as sim time (and only as sim time) and can APPLIED TOWARDS some FAA ratings. This does not mean it IS flight time, it only means it can be used INSTEAD of flight time towards a rating.

Sim is ONLY sim...never log it in any other column (possible exception for level D sim, but that is not a concern now)

6. and finally, is there a better way to correct errors in logbook other than crossing out or white out? I used to get Liquid paper in green color but apparently it's been discontinued..
Both are fine. Some folks will tell you to only correct with a single line-out (so you can still read the erroneous entry) but that is actually a military, not an FAA requirement. Just make sure you make an explanatory note for "after-the-fact" corrections to avoid questions later.