Thread: Pell Grants
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
BSOuthisplace
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: N/A
Default Pell Grants

I got a letter in the mail this week from my state unemployment agency telling me about Pell Grants and how I should take advantage of them. So I applied at my local community college to take a few classes towards a network engineering certificate. I then filled out a FAFSA form as mentioned in the letter in order to apply for the Pell Grants.

In the process of filling out the form, because I was not born before January 1st, 1986, I found out I am considered a dependent even though I do not receive any financial assistance from my parents. This got me ****ed, and led me to placing a call to the FAFSA help line. I was told not only am I considered a dependent, but I am also not eligible for Pell Grants because I already have a bachelors degree.

Does anyone know about Pell Grants and if there is a way around this with my situation? I thought the whole point of having these grants was to retrain the American workforce; keyword is RE-train. The degree I have is useless in this economy, so I wanna go back to school and find something that is in demand.

Appreciate any advice.