View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 04:50 AM
fludy12

Originally Posted by TankerDriver View Post
I've heard different things. It may be 8 years now, but not 100% sure. The Air Force changes it around with the needs of the AF. If you plan to just do 10 years, I recommend building a nestegg. You can live comfortably on active duty and bank a lot of cashola. If you get out at your 10 year commitment, you will go from possibly O-4 pay (around $90k a year) to first year probation pay (about $35k a year) with a major airline. Quite a shocker if your spouse doesn't work and you've got a family to support.
As I recall, it's 6.5 years from the time you get winged...for Navy helicopter pilots... I was prior enlisted then turned to the dark-side (officer) via the USNA. But, one needs a four year degree to fly for the USN. Do what it takes...

Take advantage of those tax-free combat duty zones and hazardous duty pay. Don't spend it... Bank it...

Invest (tax-free) in the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), now that it's been opened up to active duty members. Once you're in, you can set up an automatic DFAS deduction (allotment) for investment. After 12 years, I left the USN with mucho $$$ in that plan, thanks to flight bonuses/pay/growth and avoiding the "new every two" car syndrome with a reliable, well maintained old Honda. Then there's the IRA, company 401K, and the individual stock "hobby" portfolio...

Personal investments like this will not go away like an airline (or any other company) pension. Whatever pension I'm left with at age 60+ from my current company is pure gravy...like social security...

And above all... SERVE with your heart and protect our country...whether it's on foot patrol, in a tank, HUMVEE, ship, submarine, aircraft, NORAD, etc...

Last edited by fludy12; 10-25-2006 at 05:44 AM.