View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Ski Patrol
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: NU Guy
Default Pilot pay (supply & demand)

[quote=rickair7777;72440
Well, the fast progression to the majors is gone, but the low pay is still there! You ARE flying that major airline job today, but in a 90-seat RJ for $19/hr. (remember $19/hr really means about $6-9/hr since you only get paid for 30-50% of your duty time) [/quote]
This is a follow up from the thread why are old pilots so bitter to the new guys.

OK guys here it is something to think about......... When was the last time you had a job where the only time you got paid was when you actually did something? (non-aviation related) IE made that hamburger, mowed that lawn or typed on the keyboard. My point is this: somewhere in history it was decided that pilots would be paid per flight hour. We are our own worst enemy in this regard. Some of the most important things we do - pre-flight, check Wx, paperwork etc. is done before we even see a dime. (excluding per diem whoopee)
The solution ... get paid per hour out of your day. Whether at the controls or enjoying some airport appreciation. Here's the example: instead of the $19/hr newbie pay we're accustomed to how about $12/hr duty pay with incentives rigged for more flight time.

Assumptions: On duty 160 hrs/month. Flight pay is only 85 hrs/month
Current pay scale model excluding rigs: 85hrs ($19.00)=$1,615 gross
Duty time pay scale: 160hrs ($12.00)=$1,920 gross

In summary my point is this - perhaps less people would be willing to leave their current job to chase the dream if they saw a $12 job or $35/hour job was in store for them working the same amount of hours as their old job. Too many people I know think I work a part time job when I tell them I get paid 80 hrs a month. When in reality I work 300!!!!

Slow the supply = increase our demand.