View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 08:34 AM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by Ski Patrol View Post
The solution ... get paid per hour out of your day. Whether at the controls or enjoying some airport appreciation. Here's the example: instead of the $19/hr newbie pay we're accustomed to how about $12/hr duty pay with incentives rigged for more flight time.

Assumptions: On duty 160 hrs/month. Flight pay is only 85 hrs/month
Current pay scale model excluding rigs: 85hrs ($19.00)=$1,615 gross
Duty time pay scale: 160hrs ($12.00)=$1,920 gross
Slow the supply = increase our demand.
SKI Patrol...........Have you read Flying the Line Part 1?

This is why ALPA was formed and why RIGS (Trip, duty, Min pay) were created. They bridged the gap for all that sitting around when the engines weren't turning, because time away from home is indeed work. It really equates to how many days a month a pilot must work to make XX dollars.

RIGS were invented to pay the Pilot for in efficient scheduling, ie fly 1-2 hour leg sit around for 3 or 4 hours then fly then fly another 1 hour leg. Or for us Intl flyers.....Fly from the US to ASIA and sitting for 3 days and Flying home.
People have lost sight of that fact and the importance of GOOD RIGS. Beleive it or not......sitting 3 days in OSAKA is still work to me as I am not kissing my kids and tucking them in bed at night.

The problem has become two-fold........

1.the Invention of sophisticated Scheduling software (i.e the Optimizer) The optimizer chews at RIGS and work rules. Not to mention the broad Interpretation of Bankruptcy laws recently used by USAIR, UAL, NWA and DAL just to name a few.

2. The former Commuter Airlines are now flying more Main line type routes with bigger and better equipment ( RJ's) which has the effect of OUTSOurcing the higher paying Mainline jobs we all want.
Previously the Commuters were almost entirely small turboprops
and flew the very short haul ( 1 hour hop) into the main hub.
The commuters formerly were the steeping stone to the Majors (if going the civilian route)........now they are becoming less a stepping stone and more a career to some, or a very long stepping stone.

This is one of the main reasons that why the subject of a National Seniority list keeps coming up. Imagine if all the Regional Pilots could be placed on the bottom of their Specific Legacy or Trunk carrier. Certainly easier said than done.................but it would have a postive effect for all of us. What happened at the Legacies recently and what is currently happening at Mesaba and ComAir. The Company could not pit one Pilot group against the other. One contract would be negotiated for 747 pilots down to the Sabb.
That way if MESAba are forced to strike......all of NWA and its subsideraries Pilots would stop. This would stop the in fighting and the mind set of "I hope those guys go down so we can pick up their flying"

The 1st step to a National list would require each legacy to bring (merge) their regionals onto their list. Again much easier said than done......

Food for thought.