Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 PM
flynavyj
Gets EVERY weekend off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: SIC
Default Not the FAA, but...

I left the airlines after 3 years. I was hired just prior to the hiring boom back in 06, was an FO for just over a year (14 mos) prior to being able to upgrade to CA. I absolutely LOVED life in the left seat! Was there for 10 months, on reserve, enjoying life. Things were difficult however, 10 mos on reserve at TSA feels like an eternity, but, I was able to make due. The pay was what allowed me to deal with the BS, the stress however, was high, and unnerving to say the least, but i managed w/o issue. The downgrade hurt, I could see it in the future and knew it was coming, but was hoping that something would save me, but nothing did. Instead I enjoyed a right seat requal and 50% of my salary. IF I could have kept the pay, I'd have stuck it out, that was the real nail in the coffin.

I'm sure management believes that pilots love to fly (and we do) and that we'll do the job for pennies on the dollar, but truth be told, i'm worth more than that, as are at minimum 15 of my current co-workers at my new job. The ONLY thing that would lure me back to the airlines would be improvements in wages and work rules, passed that, they can keep it.

I now work for the federal government, am enjoying my lifestyle (off on Christmas, off on new years, worked 4 hrs on NYE, paid for 8, same before Christmas, and most other holidays) good benefits, a retiremet (although FERS sucks), off every weekend, home in my bed every night, and am able to tinker w/ my cars/motorcycles on whim, when i feel like it. Did i mention being able to ride the motorcycle to work again? (hadn't done that since flight instructing).

There are two big things i miss however.

Approach/Landing in my ole' airplane. And Jumpseating anywhere, anytime. Besides that, i cringe at the idea of going through airport security w/o a uniform and standing in that long line. The only thing that makes it worth while is knowing i get paid enough to buy a ticket now.