Thread: Navajo Systems
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Oldog
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by SkyStormer6 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some study material for the Navajo. I will be starting training for a new job soon and want to get a jump on the systems and general operating procedures for the bird. Checklists, flows, systems, etc. Is there any good info on the internet or is there a place I can order some stuff without dishing out a lot of coin? I'm going to be transitioning from a supercub so I'm going to need all the help I can get. It is a part 91 operation and I know this is the 135 thread, but I know there are a lot of 135 operators using the PA-31 so I'm posting here. If any of you guys flying this bird can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. PMs are welcome too.
Buy what Pipers an "Information Manual" -- a non-serial-number-specific POH reprint . . . but be sure what you buy is for the same year model as the airplane you're studying for. There are a few systems and other differences depending upon how old the airplane is.

The CG issue mentioned in another reply is also worth attention. Although the airplane has very benign handling qualities and (for turbocharged models) a comfortably high single engine ceiling, you can become very unhappy in either Navajos or Chieftains as you come over the fence with the CG aft beyond limits, the yoke all the way forward, and the nose still rising. . . .