View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Delta102
Farm hand

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Corporate Captain
Smile It's only a little smoke.

As a seasoned "Traveler" my greatest test of nerves came on a flight aboard a Convair 580. The old bird (operated by then Republic Airlines) fired up, smoked and then rambled down the runway and eventually lifted off for a quick flight to Detroit. After feeling ( and hearing ) all the strange noises that the convair made, it was at this point that I was missing the familiar DC-9's that I flew aboard on a regular basis. I was also regretting not taking my flight pill ( Tranquilizers).
At cruise I looked out my window and noticed a small puff of smoke coming from the engine intermittently. When the Flight Attendant walked by, I quietly told her to keep from starting a panic on the plane about this phenomena that I was witnessing in the engine. She smiled at me and said: "Oh that ..... Don't worry sir they do that all the time". She obviously seen that my nerves were totally shot after that comment and asked: "Sir, could I get you anything "?. My only response was in a much louder tone: " Yea, you can get me a damn parachute and while your at it ask the pilot to drop some altitude I'm scarred of heights".

I have never flown on a prop since then, and my ATP pilot buddies still get a kick out of telling that story over a cup of coffee.

--