View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 03:25 PM
japanam
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2010

Such a shame you had a bad experience with them. I did my ATP at their SAC facility last year and, though I did my own hotel booking, everything turned out great!

I always thought ATP was a "pilot mill" like everyone thinks. How wrong I was. Yes, most of the CFIs there are just building hours. Yes, the training curriculum is sometimes "iffy" at best. But hey, for the ATP certificate there is no specified training if it's your first attempt anyway. I really don't know anything about their PVT / COMM or IF program.

What surprised me the most, they used the same designated examiners as my original school, Sierra Academy, used. This gave me the confidence that I was going to get what I paid for.

I had over 1,000 hours on the DA42; never flown the Seminole, or current (i.e. hadn't flown) any conventional twin in over a decade, but managed to pass on the first attempt after their "Five Hour ATP Program + Written". While the examiner was busy issuing my temp certificate, the ATP staff at SAC told me the failure rate was averaging 50% for the same program, and this was taking into account the people current and with time in the Seminole.

No disrespect to anyone's opinion, but for me, I would recommend ATP to anyone who needs to go for their ATP checkride!