View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
syd111
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: B-777 left

Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
Hi!

Why don't the airlines schedule their landings and takeoffs at each airport so there will be no landing/takeoff/gate access delays? Obviously, there is no controlling the WX, but if the airlines schedule 1000 movements at O'Hare between 1700-1900, and it can only accomodate 500 mvmts, delays will occur.

If I were gov't I would not allow more landings/takeoffs per hour, at any airport, than can be accomodated by ATC, the runways, taxiways and the gate availability. That would solve a huge chunk of the delay problems.

cliff
NBO
Since you mentioned ord I thought I would mention. A number of years ago both ual and amr did cut back many flights during a couple of peak times so the entire operations would work better for everyone at ord. They did this while working with the faa to improve operations at ord. Just so you know that same faa had all those slots(I know probably not the rght word) filled in less than 30 days by all the other airlines. Yes every last one. As far as weather I think atc tries to control it way too much. Many times having airliners sitting waiting when they could be leaving, yes even when we are asking them to let us go you get the same response from local control yes we agree with you but the flow control people still have the ground stop in effect. Hapens at iad all the time